Friday, April 11, 2008

The Media Equation

Reeves, Byron, and Clifford Nass. 1996. "The Media Equation," pp. 3-24 in The Media Equation. Cambridge University Press.

I was very humored by this article, The Media Equation. In summary, this article did a study that said humans interact with computers as if they were humans. Although it was very funny to think that way, the study proved its theory to be true. Humans treat computers as comparable humans.
Through the humor I had reading this article, I have to agree! I think we find a relationship to our machines because most of us spend so much time communicating with others through them. I couldn’t tell you how much time I spend in front of my computer…emailing friends and family, doing educational things, surfing the Internet to find the latest information. My machine connects me to the world in more ways than I can count. It’s sort of like a life line to things that are not within my grasp.
When I think of how this article could relate to my topic about digital storytelling, I consider the many possibilities that digital storytelling can bring to my students. Media can give students a voice, a way to connect to others. I think just that thought alone can prove to be a pathway for students to learn to be better writers and communicators. The visuals of media can help students develop comprehension and critical thinking because media allows them to ‘see’ what they are learning. The changes that our society has been going through since computers have become so integral in daily functioning is providing our students with a new way to connect with media and computers.
Annette

2 comments:

Jenn Swaisgood said...

Annette,
I couldn't agree with you more! I, too, thought this article was humerous, but also very true. My favorite comment of yours is, "It’s sort of like a life line to things that are not within my grasp." What a great way to explain it! The computer and the Internet has definitely become my lifeline, as it has for most people. I think your ideas on how visual literacy relates to the media equation are very true and well thought out.

Jenn

Sabrina said...

Hey Annette! I felt the same way! When I first started the article I thought it was ridiculous that humans treat machines as we would other humans, but then I really started to think about it and it is soo true!! I also feel that connection to the wider world through my computer. Based on the evidence in the chapter, I think that the media equation has a huge impact on your topic of digital storytelling. Just think...what the students create would essentially be "real" for the people who view their stories! That is so powerful and motivating! Thanks for sharing!

Sabrina