Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Document Cameras in the Classroom

One of the new technologies I have been able to use this week is a document camera. A document camera is similar to an overhead projector in that whatever you put under the light displays on the wall or screen.
It's a bit different though. We used the document camera to explore flips, slides, and turns with shapes. The document camera is like a moving picture of what is happening. The kids are able to see the real-life of the object. Document cameras are also great for exploring things you would use a microscope to see. This website had some other good examples that a document camera could be used for http://it.seattleschools.org/blog/wp-content/files/2007/04/doccamera-uses.pdf.
Annette

2 comments:

Petit Papel said...

That sounds wonderful and I am sure that the kids loved it. I had not heard of a document camera until reading your blog. I will have to see what else I can find out about it. I gave my kids digital cameras when we were learning about 2D and 3D shapes and they had to go on a scavenger hunt through the school and photograph the shapes on their checklist. They found shapes in the craziest places, including a hexagon on the back of the toilet, and did a fabulous job. I felt like they had a true understanding of the difference in shapes after that assignment!

Ms. Price said...

My school has a few document cameras and I love to use them. I really use it a lot in math. Although I have a lot of overhead manipulatives, there are some I don't have. Using the document camera on a piece of paper allows me to model my mini-lesson for all my students to see. In addition, during the summarize portion of my workshop, I am able to have students come to the document camera and put their work up and share their strategies for others to see. This is MUCH better than having a student hold up their work! I only wish I had the document camera all the time (we have to share it per building)!