Monday, February 4, 2008

The World of Social Bookmarking

I have been learning a lot of new things this week. First, I learned about blogs. Now I am beging introduced to Social Bookmarking. I am excited about the wealth of new technologies there are out there for educators to grab ahold of. I learned a bit about bookmarking through the following article.

Web 2.0 Article (Bookmarking):
Jackson, Lorrie (April 18, 2006). “Bookmarking Without Borders.” Education World, http://www.educationworld.com/a_tech/techtorial/techtorial101.shtml

Bookmarking without Borders is a Techtorial article about the benefits and uses of social bookmarking. The article gives an introduction about what social bookmarking is and why it is an important tool for educators. The article also briefly covers how to register and add a bookmark to your account. Lastly, the article discusses what a tag cloud is and how it is used to interact with others in the Internet.
The article would be a good quick-read for someone who doesn’t have knowledge of what social bookmarking is. It gives a good introduction to assist the beginner to get started.

My Thoughts on Social Bookmarking:
I almost feel like I’ve been in the dark ages! I am only 28 years old, but I have never heard of or used social bookmarking. I think it is an amazing tool if used properly. I think I have an over exhausted list of favorites on my desktop, and I hate creating those folders in my favorites. I end up putting things somewhere I didn’t mean to, which ends up leaving me frustrated and getting back on google.com to try to remember some of the key words to find the site again. I do admit that I am a very ‘gold’ teacher (very organized and detailed), so I am excited about the bookmarking so that I can organize all of my favorite sites! I am also even more tickled that I can now collaborate better with colleagues and share sites through bookmarking.

For another great resource, one of my UFL colleagues sent us a link for a video on Social Bookmarking. It's a good way to spell out what bookmarking is, and it's also very entertaining!
http://www.commoncraft.com/bookmarking-plain-english

Until next time,
Annette

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for share

Anonymous said...

Me too have been learning a lot of new things this week. And me too beginning introduced to Social Bookmarking. It's really useful thing in help with writing a research paper. And I want to develop these skills.