Sunday, March 16, 2008

Literacy and Multimedia

Sankey, M. (2002) 'Considering Visual Literacy when Designing Instruction', e-JIST, Distance and e-Learning Centre, University of Southern Queensland, Vol 5 No 2, Toowoomba.

Stokes, Suzanne (2001.). Visual Literacy in Teaching and Learning: A Literature Perspective. Electronic Journal for the Integration of Technology in Education, 1(1) 10-19.

Woodbridge, Jerry (January 1, 2004). Digital Kaleidoscope: Learning with Multimedia. Retrieved March 11, 2008, from the TechLearning website, http://www.techlearning.com/story/showArticle.php?articleID=17000193


Sankey (2002) characterizes visual literacy as ‘using images in the cognitive processing of information’. Woodbridge (2004) reports that multimedia is ‘a combination of digital media aspects such as text, images, sound, and video to create an application to convey meaning’. I see multimedia as a form of visual literacy because multimedia uses images combined with other components to convey meaning. Woodbridge also notes in his article that multimedia is useful in creating students that are engaged in thinking critically and finding solutions to problems. Critical thinking and problem solving are two higher level skills that encompass any literacy program. Therefore, multimedia is heavily a part of visual literacy because it strives to encourage others to find, process, and convey meaning based off of text and images in an enhanced format.
Visual literacy and multimedia have played a role in my classroom learning environment in the past. I have presented visual representation in all subject areas for students to improve academic achievement. For the basic areas of visual literacy, I have helped students learn things like vocabulary by creating vocabulary cards for a pocket chart that has a picture of the word to provide students with an image to tie to the word. I have also used things in my writing center to encourage productive stories. I added stamps and stickers for students to write with. For example, students could write a story by using stickers in place of words that would convey the word they are trying to portray. Another way I have incorporated visual literacy on the basic level is by having students act out parts of a story to gain meaning and have an illustrative representation of what is happening.
Using multimedia in the classroom is another area of visual literacy that I enjoy providing for my students. Fortunately, I am privy to have an interactive whiteboard that provides me with the ability to connect students to the World Wide Web with just a click. We use the Internet as a way to go and find images and videos that will shed light on things we don’t understand during a lesson. Students have the opportunity to create products that will enhance their learning of key concepts such as drawing conclusions and understanding story elements. Some of the things we do with multimedia are creating Voice Threads using online software, making presentations in MovieMaker or PowerPoint, and even watching educational videos on United Streaming.
Multimedia is a great way for students to seek meaning because they find understanding through using multimedia tools. Being that multimedia is a form of visual literacy, I would venture to say that any form of visual literacy will provide student achievements if used consistently and effectively. Visual literacy is going to be a powerful and dynamic concept in our changing technological world. Visual literacy will redefine what it means to be literate in our society. Multimedia will be a tool that plays a huge part in that concept.

When are digital applications distracting for students? How much is too much, or is that a factor? How do you know if the use of visual media is a help or a hinderance for students? If it's good for some, but not for others, how do you make the others its not good for feel okay with some of the classmates using technology and them not.
Annette

2 comments:

Jenn Swaisgood said...

I totally agree with you Annette, that multimedia and visual literacy go hand in hand. I think they are both a very important part of today's teaching and learning world. Like you, I have used visual literacy in many ways. My students, when making vocabulary flashcards, have to draw a picture to go with the word and they have to do each card in its own color, because it has been shown that the brain remembers color better than non color. My students also act out vocab. words, which makes for a fun way to review/learn vocab. for each story.

In response to your questions, I really don't think that digital applications, when used properly, are a distraction for students. I feel that they are the exact opposite of that. I think they draw IN their attention, rather than take away from it. Same idea with "How much is too much?" I think that most teachers are aware enough to know if a slide show has too many images, or if the images don't even fit with the content, in which case I guess it could become a distraction. Otherwise, like I said, I think that images and other visual items are a great way to get students interested in the subject. As far as students who don't like the images go, I don't think they suffer at all. The actual information is still present, just as it would be without the images, you have just added a little bit to go with it.

Great posting!

Jenn

Sabrina said...

I also believe that multimedia and visual literacy will play a huge role in the future of education. I wish we could make that future come faster for our students, because I think for them to be successful in TODAY'S global society they NEED those skills.

I don't think digital applications are distracting for our students. I think the interactivity and speed of application keeps them actively engaged in the learning tasks better than traditional paper and pencil methods. Kids today have grown up in this fast paced digitally literate world...they are hard wired for it! If you have not read th article "Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants" you should check it out at:http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf
I have a hard time imagining a child for whom at least some form of multimedia would not be effective. Its kind of how I feel about the Internet, too...there's something for everyone! Great write up!
Sabrina :o)