Thursday, March 27, 2008

Televison Viewing and Critical Thinkers

Considine, David (1999). Critical Viewing and Critical Thinking Skills. Retrieved March 27, 2008, from the Center for Media Literacy Web site: http://www.medialit.org/reading_room/article202.html

I read an interesting article for this post that discussed the power of using media such as the television for learning and developing critical thinkers. I remember when I was a kid, I heard the ‘age old’ comments about watching too much TV or sitting too close to the TV. This article caused me to reflect and ponder the thought that media such as TV could be a good source of critical thinking for kids.

The idea posed in this article is to teach children to be critical viewers. That would mean we are teaching them to think critically about a picture and enhance their future encounters with critical thought. The article identifies that most people view TV viewing as being very passive, but the article challenges that idea by saying television viewing requires the viewer to “mentally integrate diverse camera shots of a scene to construct an image as a whole” (Considine, 1999). One of the quotes made by Jack Solomon said, "Television images lull us into thinking that they are real, that they aren't iconic signs at all but realities. Since we see them, we trust them, often failing to realize that, like all signs, they have been constructed with a certain interest behind them."

The article continues to make me consider TV as a good method for literacy instruction because it can require a student to interpret meaning and compare and contrast reality and fiction. This article made me think a bit. Yes, I do think television could be a useful tool. I have spoke to many parents and gave them ideas such as using predict/infer strategies for commercials. For example, a commercial might show a woman with crazy hair, two different shoes, and an awkard look on her face walking to work one day. The only comment on the commercial might say, “Should have had a V8”. The parents could discuss how the woman feels and what the commercial might mean to help the child construct meaning.

Good thoughts,
Annette

1 comment:

Jenn Swaisgood said...

Hi Annette! Since I was gone last week, I'm going to post my comments today, for your last week posts. I found this article to be very interesting, however, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I do agree with you, that using TV could be a good tool for literacy instruction. Especially if used in the classroom or some other form of educational setting. I also think it is a good idea to teach kids how to view TV in an educational manner at home, like you mentioned. My only concern with this is will they actually do this on their own? Many kids probably wouldn't. Although, by teaching them HOW to view television in a critical manner, I think we are doing our job and hopefully it will affect some of our students. Very intersting article. It definatley gets my gears turning. Actually, if used correctly, it's a way to put a positive spin on tv for our students.

Jenn