Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words


Good evening fellow readers,
I have found a visual literacy-rich site today. ‘A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words’ site is from the University of North Carolina’s Education department. This website is very worthy of visiting. Have you ever wondered what types of questions you could ask students when looking at a photo? Pretty basic questions, right? For instance, “What do you think the person in the picture is thinking, feeling, or doing?” Well, this site offers questions for an image based on Bloom’s Taxonomy. Yep, it has questions that attack the higher levels such as synthesizing, analyzing, and evaluating.


For example, look at the picture above one of the analysis questions is: “Why are these boys here and not in school?” or “What do you know about their lives based on this photo?” These two questions require a person looking at the photo to think deeper about the picture.
From exploring this interactive site, it made me think about how much deeper my questions could go if I would pre-think out higher level questions for my lessons. What would that produce in my students? Would they start associating images and literacy faster?
Hum?
Annette

Picture source: The Library of Congress

‘A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words’ Available at University of North Carolina Website: http://www.learnnc.org/lp/media/articles/bloom0405-3/bloompix.html

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Awesome! I love your choice of photo. I can think of SOO many higher level questions that you could ask based on it. That is a great idea, because as a primary teacher I sometime find it difficult to get to those higher level questions with our "everyday" routine. To really get them into a lesson, I usually do have to "pre-think" them and actually write them down so I don't forget. I really liked the interactivity of the website...actually seeing the pyramid and how the questions progressed was very helpful. Thanks for sharing!

Sabrina

Jenn Swaisgood said...

Annette,
I love this post! I just finished reading Sabrina's post about using pictures to write a journal entry, and this reminded me of using pictures in writing too! I really love this picture and your idea of asking higher level questions to go along with it. Also, this would be a great opportunity to differentiate: you could give higher level questions to certain students, and lower level questions to other students.

This really made me think about how you can use pictures when writing, but not just say "Write about this picture"....you can actually ask specific, high level questions to go with the picture.

Great posting!

Jenn