Friday, March 28, 2008

Visual Literacy Instructional Strategies

Zanin-Yost, Alessia and Donaldson, Christy (2005). How to Speak Out (Visually) At Your Library. Available online at: http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~mbolin/donaldson-zanin-yost.html

I found a great website that reviewed an article published in Library Philosophy and Practice. The article discussed a lot about what visual literacy is and why it is important, but the part that interested me the most (since I already knew the other information) were the instructional strategies that teachers could use with visual literacy. In summary, some of the ideas were:
• Using images to refine observational skills
• Using images for pre-reading to gain a better understanding of complex ideas (through the use of graphic organizers, mapping ideas, and timelines
• Observing how numbers work through graphs, charts, and tables
• Using multimedia for more creative expressions in projects

I found these ideas to be great precursors for effective instruction in the classroom. I was thinking about things I already do in the classroom such as using pictures for vocabulary words and graphs to represent data. However, I continue to seek ways to make things more meaningful to students the FIRST time they view it. I look for ways to have my students have that ‘light bulb’ moment. I am constantly trying to think of new ways to present material.
Today, I created a PPT quiz for an ESL student. We frequently do quizzes our team creates from the Time for Kids magazine. So, I made a PPT slide that used the ‘Record Voice’ feature. I recorded myself reading the passage using more kid-friendly language and recorded myself reading the questions from my quiz. I haven’t graded it yet, but I hope it helped my student in a new way. He loves using the computers, so I thought it might be effective for him rather than me simply read the test to him sitting side-by-side.
Always looking for new ideas,
Annette

1 comment:

Jenn Swaisgood said...

First off, I loved your comments about ways to inmplement visual literacy into the classroom. I use pictures A LOT in my classroom, especially to introduce a new story, or as a journal prompt. It's always so interesting to see how many different ideas are sparked by one picture. It's amazing!

Your idea of recording a quiz for your ESL student is a BRILLIANT idea! Not only is it easier for the student, it's much more fun and it integrates technology at the same time. I have six special education students who have to have all tests read to them, and I think I'm going to steal your idea :)! I think, like you said, they would like that so much more than me sitting right next to them all the time. Thank you so much for the great idea!

Jenn